Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.

Mint 18 - problem with glibc-2.23

I have a couple of supported applications that segfault in libc-2.23 consistently. I know there are issues with the Haswell and Broadwell processors, but mine is a new ZaReason Strata (msi) 8110 with a Skylake i7 processor and I haven't found that the microcode problems with Hazwell and Broadwell are still relevant, and ZaReason said that the latest microcode updates have been applied to the system (just got it 2 weeks ago). There are glibc blacklist code patches to deal with these processor bugs. Should I install them? That will mean rebuilding/testing glibc from scratch - can do, but don't want to if possible.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

-->
    Microcode may be exactly your problem, when do you load it? Early from initramfs or after / is mounted? If latter then microcode update can disable the function that was there during bootup and glibc loading. Blacklist patches probably will help, as would help loading microcode from initramfs.