Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

linux mint cinnamon

Hi,
    Newbie here , please stay with me even for stupid?? Q's, green as grass here.
    Am not a comp expert, far from it but trying to learn. at 79
    I want to try linux mint cinnamon on a usb drive 16gb.
    Have win 7 pro on my comp, using linux live usb creator tried to download cinnamon 18.2 but linux live downloaded Mate !
    Went through linux live and put files on my usb drive.
    Q 1 -Did that automaticly burn the iso file on my usb drive ?
    or is that a seperate operation ?

Q 2- may depend on above, Changed bios boot to USB drive
    but still booted up in windows. Then booted up again pressing F12, instructed to boot up from usb, saved
    turned off comp and booted up again and again booted up windows.
    This makes me think that linux live saved file on my usb drive but did not burn iso file ? am I right in my assumption !
    Many thanks for any advice.
    enigma.

I am not familar with linux live, if it wont boot into the live usb it probably did not burn it as .iso. Please check the file you want. Mint is at version 18.1 not 18.2. Also you should check the sha256sum for the iso before you burn. Might be a bad iso file.

Go to the mint website, download the file you want and save it on your computer. find the sha256sum file as well. right click on sha256sum.txt and save link as.. In windows 7 you will have to find and download a sha256sum file checker program. Google is your friend. Or try linux live again. Need more help just ask and dont give up, you are having fun.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply prsman. Noted re 18.1. Have a couple programs for usb, one only went to 17.1 and the other could not see the usb drive.
    From what you said, not as easy as abc ,m I was un the impression that an iso file had to be burned but no mention of sha256sum file.
    Linux life said download file and thought it would take care of the rest.
    Ah well will format usb derive and start over again.
    Thanks again,
    enigma.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You do not need to format the drive. When you put an ISO on it everything on that drive will be destroyed, including your format.

Let me explain what I said. The sha256sum file is the result of running a sha256sum file check on the downloaded iso,
    Download the iso you want, burn it to the usb drive as a .iso file. Not copy to drive. On your windows cpu, you need a program that does the sha256sum file check. Get this program and run it on the iso file before you burn. Compare the result from the file check program with what is in the sha256sum.txt file. If they are the same you can then burn the downloaded iso file to the usb drive. From what I understand you should format the drive with FAT32. As Segfault says the format will get destroyed with the burn. Why format? You will then start over from scratch. Hope this helps.

Just Joined!
    Thanks prsman and segfault.
    As I said before, new and green as grass , read about how to install it but no mention of checksum.
    However you have just explained it and yes , thank you that did help.
    Never had much luck with installing Windows so am a bit dubious about linux but thought I give it a try.
    enigma.

Just Joined!
    Ok have the iso burned on a usb drive but now when I want to boot from usb I turn on comp then press f12 till boot screen shows, I select usb hdd and press enter, it then shows "vallidating etc" but that is all it does, it does not go any further.
    Help please
    enigma.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma. View Post
    it then shows "vallidating etc"
    please tell us everything you see, all menus, all choices...

from what little info you provided, could it be an EFI issue?
    what machine are you installing to? make & model please, preferably a link.
    You CAN post links by removing the "http://www." bit from it!
    please use CODE TAGS for code, please! | Stuck? Please read this!

Just Joined!
    thanks for the reply nihili.
    Comp I am using is Win 7 pro.
    Not sure what EFI is?
    When booting up, press f12 than a list shows
    Floppy
    CD rom
    Hard drive
    USB FBB
    Usb HDD
    and several others, don't have that machine running at the moment
    Before booting up comp I insert usb drive in usb port.
    When booting up comp I press F12 then the list shows up
    I select usb hdd to continue.
    But it just boots up in Windows.
    Not sure if the is anything in the bios i have to change ? would have thought selecting usb drive that it should boot up with usb drive.
    If this is not enough info let me know and I'll have to take some screen shots.
    Thanks.

It certainly sounds like your the USB you created is not bootable. Did you try to boot it on some other computer? Just to make sure it boots.