Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Strange glitch with video files of recordings

A few days ago, I barely knew what Linux was. But when I installed Linux Mint, Most of the stuff was wonderful; It was not the case of screen recording.

I first wanted to record with OBS, using pretty good quality and with MP4 as output format. I recorded what I wanted to record, but when I saw the recording, there were black flashings in different parts of the screen, and the interface also dissappeared and re-appeared like in flashings.

"Strange" I said. So, I used much lower quality and MKV as output format. I had the same result.

"Then the software is wrong" I thought. So I installed Simple Screen Recorder. Tried with all the different settings, but, even if it was much less glitchy, I was still getting the same glitches.

So I tried with Kazam. No different results.

"It must be the media player" I said. So, I tried with VLC, and even with YouTube, but there was no difference.

I uploaded an example glitched recording to YouTube, you can see it by going here: [MEDIA=youtube]cG6uCfr6TxY[/MEDIA]

I will provide as many information as required to fix this issue.

Thanks.
    PS: If you see this post in another forum, I probably copied it and pasted it, because I would be too lazy to write a different post for each forum.

Sent from my SM-J110M using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Caloxeno View Post
    PS: If you see this post in another forum, I probably copied it and pasted it, because I would be too lazy to write a different post for each forum.
    and i'm too lazy to formulate an answer for you, but i probably already answered the question on some other forum, you can find it there.

...ok, only joking.
    food for thought: if you are too lazy to formulate a unique question, what does that imply about the answers you are likely to get?

...but, the first one is free:

i think it is likely a combination of 2 things:
    1) the screen recording software does not like the compositor. disable compositor effects (translucency, shadows)
    2) compressing the video actually takes more resources the more you compress it! your processor might be overwhelmed, resulting in all sorts of artifacts. the way is to record raw, uncompressed (huge file), but with a framerate maybe as low as 1/s (because you don't need movie quality), and transcode the file afterwards.
    3) feeling frisky? try using ffmpeg directly, instead of some app
    You CAN post links by removing the "http://www." bit from it!
    please use CODE TAGS for code, please! | Stuck? Please read this!