Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

good multiboot tool

Last time I installed grub on my external hdd it also put it on my main drive. I don't want that to happen this time, I just want to install a couple different distros on my other drive to test some out. I may figure this out myself. Figured I'd ask in case someone else has an answer.

EasyBCD is generally considered the most user friendly. But being user friendly is a relative term when it comes to setting up the boot process.
    Last edited by jwzumwalt; 06-20-2017 at 05:01 PM.

Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris

A meta-answer

Hi.

At one time, I used a single disk for multiple OSs. That occasionally resulted in an OS stepping on other OSs. (One article showed how to have 100+ OSs available --see How to install and boot 145 operating systems in a PC )

Then I used carrier-tray systems for a while to ensure separation: https://www.google.com/search?num=10...k1.BtusCOIgobE

More interesting to me than multi-boot is simul-boot (a coined term).

That means you can run several OSs simultaneously.

Modern virtual machine environments allow you to do that: VMWare, Virtual Machine, etc.

We often have 6-10 OSs running on a VM-server (a beefy box with lots of CPU power and memory):
    Code:
     Uptimes for available machines 2017.06.20:
    up 403 days     5 users: CentOS 6.4 (Final) 
    up 143 days    36 users: Debian 8.7 (jessie) 
    up 375 days     2 users: Fedora 23 (Workstation) 
    up  90 days     2 users: FreeBSD, 11.0-RELEASE-p1, amd64 
    up 310 days     4 users: Mint 17.1 Rebecca 
    up   7 days     9 users: openSUSE 13.2 (ext4, "Harlequin") 
    up 402 days     5 users: Slackware 14.1 
    up  48 day(s)   3 users: Solaris 11.3 X86 
    up 367 days     6 users: Ubuntu 14.04.4 (KDE, Trusty Tahr)
    Almost any modern machine can run at least one other OS in a virtual machine. The beauty is that you do not need to reboot your host machine every time you want to go back to your daily life. In addition, quick backup/recovery is possible with snapshots.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl
    Last edited by drl; 06-21-2017 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Correct minor typo (spelling).
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    That's great info... thanks!