Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Help for another newbie please

Mint Cinnamon is great but here are some questions.

1. I do not want my computer to go to a sleep screen after a few minutes if, to turn it back on, I have to enter a password. I live by myself and am using a desktop compuer with no wireless network. At installation I opted for automatic login. Having to do passwords all the time is bothersome. I have alredy chosen "never" on the power options but cannot find any menu item which has to do with this issue. The sleep screen is OK but being bothered for a password is a pain. Again, there are no privacy concerns in this. I live alone except for a cat.

2. I like XFCE Mint because I am able to change the font size on the menus. I like Cinnamon better for other reasons. I wish under Cinnamon I could do the same thing with menu font sizes. Those of us with poor vision would appreciate this option. I hope there is a Mint dev type reading this.

3. I wish I had the option of selecting "single click" to open files. Having to double click all the time is also bothersome.

4. I have another request for the dev types. I'd like to see a variable size for desktop icons. I wish I could make them larger. Again those of us who have poor vision would find this helpful.

Number 1 is the most important. I expect that I am not familiar enough with the menus yet to be able to find what I want.

Thanks
    Last edited by trailertrash; 12-04-2017 at 12:17 AM.

hello trailertrash, i don't think many "dev types" bother reading the forums here.
    but then, these are mostly feature requests anyway.
    i hope you found a way to disable the screen locker.
    various linux forums are full with this exact annoyance, so use your search skills.
    btw, you do know there's a linux mint forum?
    Tapatalk: Kill it with fire!
    How to ask smart questions | Don't be a Help Vampire | How to Use Code Tags
    You can post a link by removing "http://www." from it.

Yeah I know about the Mint forum but thought this one was better populated. You're right about the locked screen. It's a royal pain made up by those who seem to think all computer operators are in cubicles and need privacy. This of course is rubbish.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by trailertrash View Post
    Yeah I know about the Mint forum but thought this one was better populated.
    rather the opposite i'd guess.
    but the "dev types" don't hang there either.
    to be honest, i don't really know what the proper place for feature requests is.
    but since both xfce and cinnamon are their own projects, that's where you should take it i guess.

but instead of waiting for someone to cobble together a desktop environment for your specific needs, i'd suggest you simply cobble something together yourself. DIY, that's where linux shines.

You're right about the locked screen. It's a royal pain made up by those who seem to think all computer operators are in cubicles and need privacy. This of course is rubbish.
    i never said anything like that.

btw, is it lightlocker (or light-locker)?

Keep in mind all user configured settings are stored in users home directory, thus uninstalling and reinstalling applications as Windows people are used to do will give no results in Linux, because users home directories are not touched by install/uninstall.

^ yes and no.
    lightlocker integrates into display- and/or powermanager in a tricky way, and the easiest solution (if you don't want screenlocking) is to uninstall it. there was some noise to that effect on forums.bunsenlabs.org, i can't find it now.

btw, i saw yesterday that mint forums have a feature request subforum.