Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Questions Re Linux Mint Cinnamon Current Update

Hi, I'm new to Linux, but definitely not PC's. I'm having several issues I'm hoping the community can help me out with.

1. My laptop is a touchscreen, and I use a secondary HDMI non-touchscreen monitor. Every single time I reboot, touching the laptop screen points the mouse position on the other monitor. To fix/calibrate it, I have to type "xinput", "xrandr" to get my video display ID, then the output which keeps changing each reboot, then type in, "xinput map-to-output 13 eDP1" (the 'eDP1' changes each reboot). How can I get Linux to permanently remember this so I don't have to keep typing it each time I reboot my system?

2. So #1 brings up the question, why does it matter if your touchscreen is working if you have a mouse? I'm glad you asked... Since I've been switching OS on this dual-boot system, every time I switch OS, I have to (re)pair my Bluetooth mouse again, which is super frustrating when... that is my ONLY mouse, so getting to the Bluetooth icon each time in both OS is rage inducing... Especially when the mouse cursor on the touchscreen is so mis-calibrated! These two issues alone are almost enough to erase Linux, lol! Not really, but it is frustrating. Is there anyway to permanently save the paired mouse in ->both<- OS?

3. I'm sure this is simple to find, and honestly I haven't had much time to do the research on this so forgive me for asking such as trivial question, but how can I view my partition size and health, i.e. data usage? And how can I defrag with Linux? And install fonts?

4. Finally, I'm having issues with Firefox in Linux. It won't load some sites, such as AT&T, even with all my add-ons turned off. Using the exact same setup in W10 with the same Firefox profile, no issues. This one is pretty major if I'm to make the full switch over to Linux.

Thanks for any and all help ahead of time! I'm glad to finally be part of such a great community and look forward to your responses!

EDIT:
    5. I use the Microsoft Office Keyboard and LOVE the Cut/Copy/Paste buttons on the keyboard itself. And idea how to get those buttons working in Linux?

EDIT:
    I figured out #4. Apparently after a system reboot, it worked fine. I do have another issue however. The last two times I've tried accessing files from my windows partition, I get an error message:

Error mounting /dev/sda3 at /media/eran/Windows: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=100 0" "/dev/sda3" "/media/eran/Windows"' exited with non-zero exit status 14: Windows is hibernated, refused to mount.
    Failed to mount '/dev/sda3': Operation not permitted
    The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown
    Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume
    read-only with the 'ro' mount option.
    But I can boot into Windows just fine, and I shut down fine, so I'm not sure what the problem is. So two questions; 1. Is there a safe way to view those files when this happens or to stop that from happening? 2. Is there a program to mitigate my files from Windows to Linux so I simply don't have to worry about it at all? After using Linux so far, I'm satisfied this is the system I'll stick with, but now I need to know how to move things in bulk, then repartition the drive to fully Linux.
    Last edited by taemx; 02-05-2018 at 05:30 PM.

-->
    as far as #3 you should be able to use gparted which i believe is labeled disks in you menu. you don't need to defrag linux at all and which fonts are you trying to install?