Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Mint/Mate 17.3 issues

I'm trying to run 17.03 Mate 'live" and it's gone nuts. Cannot open my e-mail from Opera browser, tried to install Firefox and it says "no internet connection" which is B.S. (it's connected) And VERY slow installs from the 'package mgr." So, is there a certain distro more favorable to "live"? And any ideas how to remedy the afore mentioned issues?
    THNX:

Rick

Linux User
    Is this the only distro you have tried? You should try the latest Mint version and report back first.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CarterCox View Post
    Is this the only distro you have tried? You should try the latest Mint version and report back first.

I've tried 17.3 XFCE, 17.3Mate, 17.2XFCE

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    So it is the only distro. How did you create the installation media? Does your computer work all right? Are you using a slow flash drive?

I think we'll need more information...

Mint/Mate 17.3 issues

Re: CarterCox

I did forget to mention Ubuntu (latest distro). #2. Through both terminal and "pkg installation mgr." #3. Is a 2.0 Lexar slow? Comp is a Dell and it's working fine...if you consider Dell's "fine". And just what info are you requesting?

Linux User
    Well I was thinking you should mention how you created the bootable drive, how are you commenting to the internet, if you can use you connection for other things, how exactly you are trying to install programs.

For example try:

Code:
    $ ping google.com
    And paste the output.

Also it would help to see error messages, for example when trying to install Firefox. Are you using APT? Try:

Code:
    $ sudo apt install firefox
    Also you could try launching your apps from the terminal and take note of the error messages.

EVERYONE

Appreciate your responding. Ahm...I'd had 'enough", so wiped 17.3x and went to 18.3x. So far(???) it seems to be operating as it should. Let's hope it stays that way! Should it also start to fail, I will return(you've been warned!). I'm going to mark this thread "solved", even though, what I did may not be exactly considered as solving the issue. THANX to all who replied.
    Rick

Linux User
    -->
    Actually running the latest version of something is a perfectly valid way to solve issues (that's a big reason why new versions of software are released), so, yeah, it's solved.