Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

issues with grossly excessive lagging (LM 18.3x)

Evening:

Although the title says LM18.3x, this actually applies to a number of Ubuntu/Linux distros I've tried. First, you must understand I'm running distros "LIVE". OK, that said, I wanted to upgrade from LM 17.3x and did so to LM 18.3x. Almost immediatley lagging started. And I mean severe lagging. So, wiped and re-nstalled 18.3x, almost immediately, severe lagging. So, tried Xbuntu 18.4, Ubuntu 16.04& 17.10, PuppyLinux, and tried them on 5 different pendrives. ALL reacted the same. Excessive lagging. Oh, checked drives just about every way imaginable, and NONE reported any errors, defeciencies. I used pendrivelinux to create bootable drive and got my iso's from either Ubuntu or Linuxmint home page D/l's.(except puppy) So, I've done enough "wiping" and D/l O.S's and I won't do any more 'till I find what's causing the problem. Anyone want to take a stab at this debacle? Oh, BTW, the speed of the drives is not in question either, for my lastest attempt was on a 16Gb 3.0 drive. Well, any ideas what's causing this...but mostly...any ideas on how to correct this ugly situation?

Rick

Linux Guru
    i assume it's about that same persistent usb install you wrote about, so please see my answer in your other thread.

shortly: running an operating system from usb 2.0 is slow.

Any SATA HDD will beat a 2.0 flash drive. Try to install the same OS on the same computer but this time on a HDD and you'll see that Seagate didn't hire us to lie to you.
    "My common sense is tingling."

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    The problem...it SEEMS(?) lies with the program used to create the live flashdrive. As stated in my thread starter, I used pendrivelinux to create the O.S. on the flashdrive. Was suggested I use/try Rufus and in doing so, the problems were eradicated. There never was a problem with the flashdrive(s) itself. Everything is running as it should... no severe lags/freezing, download and install times are relatively quick and boot-ups are fast. I have only one issue with Rufus and that is it does not provide "persistence".