Getting back into it and lot of problems
Hey all. Not giving my life story, but just a brief summary to tell you all the problems I've been having:
HP Envy 14 laptop, i5 2.4 GHz 4 GB Ram, Beats audio, pretty current laptop
Had W7 64bit Home pre-installed. Was running hot all the time and wasn't getting good battery life (about 2-2.5h compared to expected 3-4h), and sluggish at times. Decided to revisit my linux days from years past.
Chose Mint 14 64 bit Cinnamon based on some research, and liked the interface. However, noticed several problems over the past 3 weeks on it:
1. Still running hot (~60C). Not terrible, but problem is the fan is always on. And loud. Went to BIOS to disable "fan always on" and still was non-stop running.
2. With fan always on or something else, battery life pretty bad in Mint. I'd say about 1.5-2h now, if I'm lucky.
3. Still not as fast as I would expect, often times having to reboot because so slow and stalling on me.
4. (Minor, but somewhat annoying) Whenever I boot up or open the lid from blank screen, I have to increase screen brightness because it's apparently all the way down.
5. With the login screen, can't get any of the Themed with Faces to work on Cinnamon.
6. The C drive from my dual boot Windows often doesn't mount properly, which is especially annoying because I have my Dropbox linked to a folder on the C drive.
7. Tried switching video drivers to proprietary and only would boot into Gnome desktop and was very limited. Switched back to OpenGL driver.
8. Tried Gnome desktop with OpenGL and also installed MATE to test them out. Gnome had much better performance overall, but was lacking on a lot of other features (couldn't edit panel, themes, etc.). MATE is not letting me do a majority of keybindings with the Super key. And my Browser hotkey (by F6) was opening "epiphany" in MATE. After finding a few answers to it, still was only able to get it to open home folder.
9. When I run MATE, the sound is not working properly. I often have to go into volume control and switch the playback device to find the sound volume that is muted, and it's not working with my volume hotkeys on the laptop.
10. I had the Gnome-Pie application on here, and for some reason or another, when I was trying to fix the browser hotkey issue and when running MATE, it won't start anymore. I tried purge removing it, reinstalling, running it on different DE's and nothing. Won't start up and hotkeys for it don't work. And I liked it...hehe
Basically, I'm whining and complaining. But I feel these are valid complaints and I would love to hear what more experienced users have found with any/all of these. Maybe this distro is just not a good choice for this laptop? Thinking overall that it's a video card issue (drivers or hardware?) so maybe another distro (like Ubuntu or something) might work better with it? Or maybe a fresh install of Mint? Idk I'm at a loss, but I definitely would prefer to stay on Linux rather than W7 or (shudders) downgrade to W8. Blegh.
Thanks for your time and I appreciate your help in advance! (Assuming there will be help...please help?)