Find the answer to your Linux question:
how does the licensing work? I know it goes by yearly subscription BUT can i purchase one copy of redhat enterprise server and one copy of professional workstation and install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

redhat enterprise linux qestion

how does the licensing work?

I know it goes by yearly subscription BUT

can i purchase one copy of redhat enterprise server and one copy of professional workstation and install that on as many servers and workstation as i want? cause at 179$ a pop that would be getting kind of microsoftish.

Linux Guru
    Considering RHEL is GPL software, you can probably put it on as many servers as you wish. I haven't dealt with these commercial Linuxes, but AFAIK RedHat just charges for support. That also means that if you only pay for support for one server, then that's probably what you'll get. ;-)

Again though, I haven't actually dealt with these commerical Linuxes - hopefully someone else can fill in.

Just Joined!
    haha microsoftish, nice word...

anyway i'm not that sure either but if you go here http://www.redhat.com/apps/commerce/rhel/desktop/ it does look like they expect you to pay (a lot) extra for the entitlement on using red hat on multiple systems.. have you thought about a different 'flavour' of linux? there are a lot out there that are completley free, and just as good.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Of course, what you're paying for with RHEL is guaranteed, instant support. I understand that for many critical server installations, such support is crucial, but if this installation isn't that critical, it might be a good idea checking out a free distro instead. I mean, it's not like you can't get free support if you just try hard enough... ;-)