Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there a way to make a linux live cd witk multiple boot capability? i want for example to add to a cd some linux live mini distributions (like damn ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Multi-boot cd?

Is there a way to make a linux live cd witk multiple boot capability? i want for example to add to a cd some linux live mini distributions (like damn small linux, movix, geexbox, byzantineOS), a boot loader (lilo, grub.....)
    and everytime i boot from the cd, i can choose an operating system.
    These are the only links i have
    http://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/29/MultibootCDs.pdf
    http://linuxgazette.net/issue85/sipos.html
    The last one would be more useful if it described a process with some already existing ISO image files.

Just Joined!
    Any suggestions?

Linux Engineer
    yep i think you could make something like that. Although a DVD would probably be a better option. This is a good site to use a starting point:

http://www.linux-live.org/

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by variant
    yep i think you could make something like that. Although a DVD would probably be a better option. This is a good site to use a starting point:

http://www.linux-live.org/

I visited the above site and, as you wrote, itís only a starting point. It didnít help me a lot, due to the fact that these scripts are about creating a live CD containing one Linux distribution only Ė even if you donít have its ISO file(s). [Please correct me in case I didnít understand well]. Also, I donít have problems with the image files because I can download them.

Other ideas/links? Has someone ever thought/made/seen something similar to my description? Do you know a better place than linuxforums.org in order to post my question there?

Just Joined!
    well i don't know much about linux-live distro's. I've only tried knoppix and only used that twice.

But i did notice you can copy it to hdd.

My thought is this:

The linux-live cd's must be written via an image writer, so i don't think you can just take the iso files, throw them on cd's with a bootloader and give it a go.

Instead try to lay out all the different o/s you want to run on a hdd/partition with different mount points. Then get a bootloader to boot them.
    Once thats working, then make an ISO image out of that hdd/partition which includes the bootloader.

Perhaps this will work.... ???

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by solman66
    The linux-live cd's must be written via an image writer, so i don't think you can just take the iso files, throw them on cd's with a bootloader and give it a go.
    :P Well, thatís exactly the easy way I firstly thought of. Too sad that it seems impossible. However, I have another idea Ė inspired by those people who canít burn CDs with ISO files as they use some archiving programs which read imageís contents automatically (like winrar under windows). Would the following ever work : Create a new folder, extract the contents of every image file in there, delete different bootloaders and leave only one, create a new ISO from folderís files and burn it?

Quote Originally Posted by solman66
    Instead try to lay out all the different o/s you want to run on a hdd/partition with different mount points. Then get a bootloader to boot them. Once thats working, then make an ISO image out of that hdd/partition which includes the bootloader.
    I see youíve got a point here. Assuming ďlay outĒ means install: I know only how to install one distro to one disk partition, not many distributions to the same partition. Is it possible to create different mount points? How? [Iím not very proud of my Linux knowledge]. Is it better to ask about this in the installation section of the forums?

Linux Guru
    Side note as for the boot loader: You can't use GRUB or LILO for this - they can't boot from a CD. Check out ISOLINUX instead.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by stegi
    Would the following ever work : Create a new folder, extract the contents of every image file in there, delete different bootloaders and leave only one, create a new ISO from folderís files and burn it?
    This is essentially what i meant

I wrote "lay out" because i take it that the o/s's are already "installed" on the cd, so you would just need to "copy" them over.

By extracting the ISO's, it makes things easier.

i don't think you can just "leave only one" bootloader. You will have to heavily modify it so that all paths to all kernels/startup sequences are included. I don't know how ISOLINUX bootloader works, but it looks like there are some good instructions on the page that dolda gave.

The only thing i worry about is extracting everything to the same folder. I have a feeling that the various directories will interfere/overwrite each other (i.e. /etc from knoppix and /etc from damn small linux, etc). So you may have to create subfolders for each distro. Then make sure you're bootloader paths are correct, write the image, and give it a shot...

it can't hurt to try....
    although i would suggest trying small distributions on a cd instead of a dvd at first... it doesn't really matter if you waste a 25 cent cd right?

P.S. if i get time this weekend i'd be interested in giving it a shot... but being 4th of july weekend i doubt i will get time... so let me know how it goes

Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot everyone for the useful info.
    Solman66, thanks for your interest! Be sure Iím gonna let you know if I manage to do something. However, I will start the experiments after 6th July Ė by that time I will have finished my last university exams.