Find the answer to your Linux question:
One thing our medium size business is thinking about doing is to deploy linux to the field. All the work that is done is done by remote connecting to our ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cool Linux for branch sites

One thing our medium size business is thinking about doing is to deploy linux to the field. All the work that is done is done by remote connecting to our servers. We think this might be worth since our branches like to go out and visit all kinds of crap and the local machines are constantly infected. So by using linux 99% of the users wont know what the heck to do

I am new to the company so, i am a little shocked at that myself. The branches are not on AD but we plan on doing that as well. Corporate are only computers authenticated by AD. I am a security person so i plan to help secure their network a lot more.

Which distro do you think we should consider?

Just Joined!
    if i were you i would look into using SLES (SUSE linux enterprise server) and SLED (SUSE linux enterprise desktop). You can get support from Novell- trust me you want support on your products if they are being using in a business environment. They are also good distributions apart from RPM (from my experience) but Yast makes up for this,

They come with all sorts of things like open office, groupwise email client...

On the server you could use edirectory to authenticate against.

There is also a window client for the directory service.

I'm not a Novell fanboy but i think this may be a good situation for their technologies.