Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have tried both open Suse and Ubuntu and whilst I think both work well and I would really like to dump windows once and for all, I find that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Text rendering

I have tried both open Suse and Ubuntu and whilst I think both work well and I would really like to dump windows once and for all, I find that both of the Linux systems tried so far, leave me feeling as though there is something wrong with my specs (they are new and there is nothing wrong with them).

It does not seem to matter which application is running, the text rendering which apparently is provided by the operating system appears dirtyand of poor quality.

I do not want to give up on Linux. Does anyone out there know of a distro that provides better than those I have tried before.

Paul

tpl
    Linux User
    welcome to the forum

> fonts

running X, you generally can specify the font; try "xfontsel" to see what's available--here's a snippet from my ".Xresources" file:

Xman*manualFontNormal: -schumacher-*-*-*-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
    Xman*manualFontBold: -schumacher-*-bold-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
    Xman*manualFontItalic: -b&h-*-bold-i-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Takes some fiddling to get what you want.
    the sun is new every day (heraclitus)

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply but its not the fonts that I have a problem with.

It is the quality of the rendering, irrespective of the font selected that concerns me. Am I the only one that can see the visual differences in rendering quality between a windows setup and that provided by linux?

Paulsd

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close