Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I've gotten the fonts looking pretty sharp on my Debian box, but images are still terribly blurry. I'm running my LCD's native resolution (1024x76 , and I've set ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Blurry graphics

Hello all,

I've gotten the fonts looking pretty sharp on my Debian box, but images are still terribly blurry. I'm running my LCD's native resolution (1024x76, and I've set the vertical and horizontal refresh rates to what I think are reasonable values. Here's an excerpt from /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility U1"
    Driver "ati"
    BusID "PCI:1:5:0"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Generic Monitor"
    Option "DPMS"
    HorizSync 31.5-48.5
    VertRefresh 60-60

I've also set the color depth to 24, so I'm really at a loss to understand why every image on my machine is quite fuzzy, while fonts are almost as clear as M$ ClearType. As you can see above, I use an ATI graphics card, and my computer is a Presario 2100US notebook. If I'm using a poor driver, wouldn't text also be blurry? Does anyone get clear images with GNU/Linux? Thanks for any help you may have, and good night.

Hi and Welcome !

Did you install ATI driver? Try "vesa" driver instead of "ati".
    Code:
    Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility U1"
    	Driver		"vesa"
    	BusID		"PCI:1:5:0"
    EndSection
    Save file and reboot machine. In case it doesn't work, download and install ATI driver.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Hello, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, the vesa driver resulted in no improvement, and my ancient graphics card seems unable to run ATI's fglrx driver. (I've tried versions 8.40 and 8.28 of ATI's linux driver package). I've found this link, but I don't have time to recompile my kernel right now - does anything think this would help anyway? BTW, it's not as if my graphics are illegible - they're just really fuzzy compared to my Windows installations (I triple-boot).

Thanks and good night,
    Kent

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Well, after some more searching, I determined that I do have an integrated graphics processor (IGP 320M), and it appears that ATI's binary linux drivers don't support my cheap hardware. Also, after booting into my Windows installations (a frightening experience), I realized that the image quality wasn't quite as good as I'd thought, and I actually prefer the way my Debian system displays a different image. Images in Windows are sharper, but this can lead to a jagged or grainy appearance. Anyway, I'm pretty content with my Debian-supplied ati driver, since I don't need 3D graphics or hardware acceleration (I'm not a gamer). Maybe increasing the vertical or horizontal refresh rate would help, but I'm afraid of frying my monitor, and Compaq provides very limited documentation in its website. So, I'll quit worrying about this for now.

Thanks again,
    Kent

What Resolution (Modes) are you using right now? You can try setting higher or lower Resolution OR Lower the Color depth.
    Try these Generic Refresh rates
    Code:
        HorizSync    30-60
        VertRefresh  50-80
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First