Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there any way to turn off the messages that come up on screen from netfilter? When I try to admin a machine with kernel messages coming up every 10 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

netfilter

Is there any way to turn off the messages that come up on screen from netfilter?
    When I try to admin a machine with kernel messages coming up every 10 seconds it is very off putting.

what does it mean when there is an * or @ after a file name (after executing 'ls'). I saw this yesterday and I had not seen or heard of it before. The machine it was on had some serious issues- had to boot into another kernel to get it working. /var was missing and a whole load of commands malfunctioned.

Hi !

Quote Originally Posted by w3tw3r3
    what does it mean when there is an * or @ after a file name (after executing 'ls')
    @ represents symlinked files and * represents file having executable bit set.
    Code:
    touch test
    chmod +x test
    ln -sf test test1
    Output of ls -CF will be
    Code:
    test* test1@
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Is there any way to turn off the messages that come up on screen from netfilter?
    When I try to admin a machine with kernel messages coming up every 10 seconds it is very off putting.
    As far as I know, system messages are only shown on tty0, so you can use ALT-Fn to switch to other ttys and you won't get those messages. If you do not want to see the messages, I think you need to edit your syslog.conf (or syslog-ng.conf) and create an entry that redirects the messages to a file or elsewhere. Unfortunately I don't have much experience with sylogd, so can't be more precise.

Just Joined!
    they were quick replies. so much for forums being an asynchronous form of communication