Find the answer to your Linux question:
Slashdot I_am_Rambi writes "According to the US Patent office, patent #6,756,999 belongs to Microsoft. The patent this time is grouping taskbar icons processes. This is included in Windows XP, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Microsoft Patents Grouped Taskbar Buttons

Slashdot

I_am_Rambi writes "According to the US Patent office, patent #6,756,999 belongs to Microsoft. The patent this time is grouping taskbar icons processes. This is included in Windows XP, and some prior art in X. Looks like it was accepted two days ago."

I suddenyl find meself at a loss for words. Splutter.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

If it was used in X then that idea was released under GPL or related type of licensing.
    Then how can M$ get a patent on it...

Duhhhh.

---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Linux Guru
    Well, let uncle Dolda explain how MS can get such a patent:

The USPTO doesn't do prior art research anymore. They leave that for the courts when the patent is tried the first time. How do you think MS got the patent on double-clicking?

:-/

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000

The USPTO doesn't do prior art research anymore. They leave that for the courts when the patent is tried the first time. How do you think MS got the patent on double-clicking?

So they can 'patent' anything and then it comes down to who's got most resources/lawyers/judges in their pocket?
    Lansbury's Lido

Linux Engineer

And while I'm here this seems like a get rich quick scheme for lawyers. The patent lawyers prepare and submit these patents and then the patent lawyers argue the case with other patent lawyers should a dispute come to pass. And who cooked this scheme up in the first place? Lawyers!

Hmm, never let accountants or lawyers work unless they have a gun trained on them.
    Lansbury's Lido

Hmmm. then let us patent the bootup logo, the waving flag, the.... , the ....

And then sue M$ ....

oh, bootup logo was llready in use, before windows saw it birth light.
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Linux Guru
    Well, I don't live in the US, but it sure seems that way to me. I mean, one would think that they would do at least a slight prior arts research, but considering some patents that are currently in effect, it makes me wonder...

The worst thing is of course that the powers that be are trying to get this into the EU as well. Check out this link in particular:
    http://webshop.ffii.org/

How do you think MS got the patent on double-clicking?
    I wonder if they ever have heard of common sense (or "vanigt sunt bon' förnuft")? Do they let brain washed monkeys press the key "approve"? No human beein in their right mind would approve double clicking it's like patenting mastrubation - Most human (and some animals I think) does it, but not all (think: "leather portfolio, armani siut and a law suit") - wait, hold on a sec, I thougt of it first - it's my patent now! :evil-lol:
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

Linux Guru
    Having the very possibility to at all patent software is a complete disregard for common sense in the first place. Software and other abstractions were never meant to be patented in the first place - that's what copyright's for. I think the US government was lobbied into it in the 60's or 70's or so, and now the corporations are trying to get the EU to follow in their footsteps. The day that decision goes through, I'm moving to Asia...