I'm trying to make my SDL programs work in Debian GNU/Linux.
I have SDL installed, I can compile and execute my SDL programs. However, I can only execute my pre-compiled SDL programs, which I have compiled on my former Slackware installation. If I attempt to compile a program on my current Debian installation, then execute it, I will get the following error:

"Error: Unable to init SDL: No available video device"

Note that I only get this error when I attempt to execute a program I compiled on my current Debian installation, and Not on the programs which are already compiled on my former installation (Slackware).

X works perfectly fine, OpenGL works perfectly fine (e.g. Neverball runs) and the system as a whole works in general.

Strace trace:

open("/dev/fb0", O_RDWR) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/dev/fb/0", O_RDWR) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
write(2, "Error: Unable to init SDL: No av"..., 53Error: Unable to init SDL: No available video device
) = 53

I attempted to create /deb/fb0 with mknod, but then I get "No such device" instead. Clearly something is wrong here.

The strace trace for the version which is compiled before I installed Debian is different -- it never attempts to open /dev/fb0 and I am unable to compare the two.

My system is an x86-64 AMD x2, 8800 GTS, 1 GiB running GNU/Linux Debian 4.0.

Any ideas would be fantastic, thanks!