Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Im working on a Project. And well I need to HIDE all the other users on the system. I need to make that when a user is done with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Hide Folders for users...

Hi, Im working on a Project.
    And well I need to HIDE all the other users on the system.
    I need to make that when a user is done with it Document in OOo (Or whatever other TextEditor) and saves his files.
    That he can only get into his own HOME folder.
    First I thought I put read off for the User. but then he can still see that there is another user of the computer and I cant use that.
    So I thought then I just run the start command as: {chroot ~/desktopfolder && openoffice} but I didnt think of that the File doesnt exist anymore then. When that is ur Root you cant find OpenOffice Indeed :/
    Well, how can I do this? Since well I REALLY need it..
    It there a program, or a little trick you can do with the Kernel or something?
    This is a Gentoo System.. Well, if there isnt a trick or something I have to rewrite OpenOffice and stuff And im NOT looking forward to that :/

Well, anyone any ideas?
    So people are NOT allowed to see Folders from other users. They dont even may know that an other user exists.. I guess its posable since WinBlows can it aswell..

Anywho, does Anyone know how to do this?
    Please tell me or give me documents.

Cheers
    - Robin

(I do know the . (dot) trick I need something more advanced )
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..

Linux Engineer
    Setting permissions for /home to 700 as root should allow other users not to be able to see what other home folder are there, and setting each user's home folder to 700 as that user will allow only them to access their home folder. This might help.

I have tryed 700 to each folder of a user aside but not to the /home Ill try that..
    Though ill still have one problem then.
    I also need to be sure that they dont save there documents in /etc or /bin or in another Dir that they shouldnt be going to.. :/
    i really need something like chroot but then Virutal.. so that its only chrooted for the usrs eyes but the system still looks to root as /
    If there DOES exist such a program I'd LOVE to know..

Thx.
    - Cheers
    Robin

(Trying that 700 + 700 idea from you)
    Google first, then ask..

Linux Engineer
    /etc and /bin and all those places shouldn't be user writable by default, but to ensure that, go through and check to make sure the directories aren't user writable. A nice shell loop could easily do such a thing.

They were just examples..
    I really need to be sure that Users CANT browse in the PC and get lost..
    Since they are Winblows Idiots and Dont even MAY know about OTHER users on the pc.
    So they need to get somekind of ChrootJail on the ~ Dir.. (/home/username/)

But is there a way to put programs in a ChrootJail?
    So that the user can still Open the programs we've put in the Chroot Jail. But cant escape and cant read other files AND OR find out of other members.
    After alot of reasearch ive understand there are programs that can make a chrootJail and Link Programs on it though I wasnt able to find any of those Software types.

Does anyone know such a trick?
    Google first, then ask..

scm
    Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by valan View Post
    Setting permissions for /home to 700 as root should allow other users not to be able to see what other home folder are there, and setting each user's home folder to 700 as that user will allow only them to access their home folder. This might help.
    Surely if you set /home to 700 none of the users will be able to get to their home directories? You need at least execute permission to go through directories. 711 should do it, removing read permissions will prevent users from ls-ing /home.

Please refrain from using terms such as 'Winblows' in place of 'Windows'.

Well they are not allowed to do ls in the home :/
    Thats the problem.
    But Ive found JailKit I think that is what I am looking for.. Since what I understand is that it makes a chrootjail and you can add applications to it. like links or something...
    Google first, then ask..

Just Joined!

Question Did jailkit work?

I also need to do the same did jailkit work? My issue is that if i change the root directory with chroot (which is what i would like) I don't think I can use the applications which I have installed outside of the jail. Did you find a solution to this like being able to link programs from outside of the jail to inside?

Any help would be appreciated!