Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi all, just created a new site and submitted to google. its been crawled but doesn't show up when i search for keywords. is anyone able to help me out?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Any1 good with meta tags??

hi all, just created a new site and submitted to google. its been crawled but doesn't show up when i search for keywords. is anyone able to help me out?
    Last edited by oz; 09-19-2007 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Removed spam URL

Patience is a virtue. Search engines look more at the normal
    text on the page than the meta tags, because meta tags
    have been widely abused. In time, your site will appear on Google,
    if it has interesting content.

HTML Meta Tags

You might also like to try having a look round at Google webmaster central. There's a few tools up there that make it easier for the search engine to find you - crucially you can submit your url to the list they keep (so they know to try to crawl you some point soon), and you can add a sitemap file which shows them all of the pages on your site, and how important each page is.

However, if you suspect that your site content is going to become much more interesting in the near future, you might want to hold off a bit: if you get the google bot to crawl your site now, and it finds nothing interesting there, they'll asign you a low page rank. Then, if your site suddenly becomes interesting, the bot wont be bothered to go back and crawl it again for quite a while, so your pagerank stays low for longer than if you submitted it just after all the wonderful interesting content arrived.

NB: this is my interpretation, no-one really knows exactly how the google bot crawls and exactly how it assigns page rank.

HTH
    Toodle-oo
    Giles

EDIT: damn, I wasn't paying enough attention to your original post. Parts of this are still relevant - particularly sitemaps if you havent got one already - but you can probably ignore most of it :-$
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close