Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello forum members. I'm new to linux. When copying a website from one server to another, I have been using the following commands with my ssh client: [LOGIN SITE TO ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

can this be done from DOS to LINUX?

Hello forum members. I'm new to linux. When copying a website from one server to another, I have been using the following commands with my ssh client:
    [LOGIN SITE TO COPY:] tar zcfp backup.tgz *
    [FTP SITE TO COPY TO:] ftp xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    [password and connect] put backup.tgz [exit]

[LOGIN SITE TO COPY TO] tar zxf backup.tgz

The whole site is transferred in just a minute or two.

Is there a way to perform this procedure from a local windows box using DOS to LINUX? If not, any suggestions for this kind of ultra-speedy transfer from windows to linux? FTP is too slow.

Thanks...

Linux Guru
    DOS? Are you thinking about pure DOS mode, without windows on top? That's going to be hard, if so, since DOS has no IP support (unless you're using special drivers and stuff). If you're thinking about DOS running from windows, it shouldn't be a problem, since windows also has the ftp command and linux usually has unzip. So if you download PKZIP for dos you could do the same thing just with zip files instead of tarballs.
    Why are first saying that FTP is "ultra-speedy" and then telling us that it's too slow? Am I just stupid?

Linux Enthusiast
    how about this, write a script that does just that, and make it a login shell for some dummy user that has access to the files. Once you ssh in, it will execute those commands, then exit cleanly.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    But that wasn't the point, right? The problem was to transfer files from a DOS (or Windows) workstation to a linux server, at least that's how I understood it. I might be wrong, though.

Just Joined!
    Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 3:33 am Post subject: dos to linux

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Quote]
    Why are first saying that FTP is "ultra-speedy" and then telling us that it's too slow? Am I just stupid?[\Quote]
    No, you're not stupid. I'm just not a great writer. What I thought I was saying, in other words, was "If there is no way to do the DOS to LINUX transfer, is there another way that is just as ultra-speedy as the linux to linux transfer?"
    But that wasn't the point, right? The problem was to transfer files from a DOS (or Windows) workstation to a linux server, at least that's how I understood it. I might be wrong, though.
    Exactly. And it's MS-DOS. Transferring the files in question using FTP is going to take me a couple of hours, and I would rather wait a couple of days finding the solution that allows the super-fast transfer of linux than be forced to "attend" to FTP.

I'll get PKZIP for dos and see what happens. Thank you both for your suggestions.