Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am trying to Dual Boot using two different hard drives. Ubuntu 7.04 is installed on one and Windows XP is installed on another. In order to switch which ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual Booting

Hi, I am trying to Dual Boot using two different hard drives. Ubuntu 7.04 is installed on one and Windows XP is installed on another. In order to switch which one I am booting from I have to go into the BIOS every time and switch up the boot priorities. Is there anything I can do to make this a more simple process?

Hi and Welcome !

Its very easy to setup Dual boot. Plug-in Ubuntu HD as Primary Master and Windows HD as Secondary/Slave. Ubuntu should boot up by default.
    Boot up Ubuntu and press Alt+F2. Type this
    Code:
    gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    Above command will open menu.lst file in Gedit.
    Add this code at the end of file.
    Code:
    title Windows XP
         rootnoverify (hd1,0)
         map (hd0) (hd1)
         map (hd1) (hd0)
         chainloader +1
    Save file and reboot machine. Select Windows XP title in GRUB Menu,

In case it doesn't work, post the output of 'sudo fdisk -l' command here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Dual Booting

Hi, thankyou very much. That works now. But, linux boots up and my roomate uses my computer a lot and needs to use Windows. Is there any way I can change it so that Windows comes up first and then I have to boot linux from the GRUB? Thanks for your help.

oz
    forum.guy
    You can edit your menu.lst file and change the default line to match the windows entry:

Code:
    default 0
    Change the above line to match the entry for Windows, whether it be 1, 2, 3, 4, or whatever.

However, both Windows and Linux will still use GRUB to boot. It's just that Windows will boot by default.
    oz

Just Joined!

Issue

Thanks, that worked. I am having one issue that isn't a huge deal but is kind of annoying. If I boot into linux and later come back to windows it screws up the time on the windows end. The time in linux is always correct but the windows one is constantly getting screwed up. Any suggestions?

If I boot into linux and later come back to windows it screws up the time on the windows end. The time in linux is always correct but the windows one is constantly getting screwed up. Any suggestions?
    Check timezone settings in Windows OS.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First