Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi 1st post short: i have this anyoing problem I had red hat 8.0-installed that on a hd40gig with 20 gig for winME but i could never get linux to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

a actual linuxnewbieproblem how got get rid of the linuxpart

Hi 1st post short: i have this anyoing problem I had red hat 8.0-installed that on a hd40gig with 20 gig for winME but i could never get linux to start with I guess my videocard TI4200 was the problem then i tried to get rid of linux (after months)but i could understand f-disk at all by now i had forgotten the password to linux I coulndt get into or get rid of So i made partions on that what was left of harddrive Guess what? i didnt make anypassword but that thing wanted pass -word to login I,m clueless but i want to know is there a program to delete(take the partions away) everthing and get back my harddrive so I can use it in Windows again thanks Anyway if noone answers- lmionruoxn- (and the signature is just for fun I never camp )

Linux Engineer
    Insert windows ME cd - install.

Just Joined!
    ? there is no dospartion only linuxstuff from both"installs" and shou8ld i say that the stuff that put me of was the thing when no password is given so i didnt gave no password and when it then say after restart give me password and logon WOW

Linux Engineer
    Well, linuxmoron (yes, i noticed the joke :)) sorry you have not had a good experiance with linux. perhaps a few more years of microsoft will persuade you to try again!
    Anyway, because the windows cd will not recocnise that there are any linux partitions of any kind (it will say either empty space or unknown partiton type) you can just insert the windows cdrom and click "install" or whatever you do with the windows install cd and it will overwrite the 1st primary parttion on your disk. once windows is installed, and you have rebooted a few (10 - 15?) times, you can use "fdisk" from a dos prompt to overwrite your remaining linux partitions (if any) but be sure to run "format d:" (or E/F depending on number of partitions you have) after fdisk before you can use them.

In short: Windows will treat a linux formatted partiton/disk as if it were free space so just install windows as you would on a new blank disk.

Have Fun!

Just Joined!
    thanks for reply.I guessed you see through me. After that 1 post I tried your solution to get the screwdriver and attatch the hardrive it didnt work as you said in post 2 I would have posted earlier but when i was about to start windows now the mainboard had checksum error (a loose memory stick)-works now i think until next time. But i also tried to start it again with a red hat start diskette the 4 last lines was quote" creating block device 2kmod :failed to exec /sbin /modprobe -s -k block -master _> ,errno=z VFS:cannot open device "hda3" or 03:03 Please append a correct "hda3 or 03:03 kernel panic VFS unable to mount root tson??03:03 .Your solution might work (let me see> ) or I buy Partion Magic

my recommedation if you want to get rid of the linux partitions is to get ahold of partition magic for windows and errase them that way. partition magic is really easy to use and after you erase them all you have to do is repartition them into fat32 drives and windows will see them and you will have more space for windows.

hope you give linux another try sometime in the future
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!