Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, do you think it would be possible to install win98 using dosemu onto a linux partition and then use dosemu to execute the win.com file and start windows using ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

windows running at same time as linux

hi,

do you think it would be possible to install win98 using dosemu onto a linux partition and then use dosemu to execute the win.com file and start windows using dosemu as well?

i want to do this to be able to run games under linux. (and to impress my mates )
    Cry out for freedom! Cry out for Linux!

Not sure about dosemu, but you can install Windows in a virtual environment with VMWare. The only thing is that it's not free (IIRC).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

like sarumont stated you can run windows in vmware. but as for dosemu the only thing is you can give it a try i guess. i will read up on it and see what i can figure out for you tho
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Well here is the reverse thingie.....there is an app called colinux that you can run linux inside of windows....but i dont know if it can be done with 98
    Just a thought......though i dont know why you would want to...
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Just Joined!

Dosemu won't run Windows afaik, bochs will

To run Windows games in Linux the best bet is transgaming's Cedega (winex4).
    You can run Windows inside of Linux, but gaming is not gonna be good in these:

VMWare: Commercial, Not that fast, great for develpoment of software, testing, basic apps. $250USD

Win4Lin: Commercial, Runs 95/98/Me at good speed, doesn't do games, great for office applications. $89USD

Bochs: Free, Slow, cool, good for testing some things, runs everytrhing I've thrown at it. There is a new version, haven't tried it, runs only in Linux, different name (can't think of it).

Wine: Free, can run many Windows apps, but not Windows itself.

Best for Gaming:

Transgaming: Commercial, runs hundreds of games at good speed. $5/per month, renewel not mandatory.

Linux Newbie
    after my rh 9 box finishes installing, i will have a go at it and tell you how i go.

don't think will be able 2 reply untill about sat 17th.
    Cry out for freedom! Cry out for Linux!

Linux Guru
    Sorry, but dosemu won't work. Admittedly, I haven't used it lately, but it wasn't that long ago either, and the last time I used it, it only supported real mode (Vx86) programs.

Also, I very much doubt that, even if they would implement some protected mode interface, it would probably be DPMI, not an actual emulation of the CPU control opcodes as would be required to run a protected-mode kernel.