Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, In my disk I had an extended partition and a logical partition within it, more or less like this: Device Start End Id System ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- /dev/sda1 2000 35003 85 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help recovering damaged partition

Hello,

In my disk I had an extended partition and a logical partition within it, more or less like this:

Device Start End Id System
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    /dev/sda1 2000 35003 85 Linux extended
    /dev/sda5 5224 35003 83 Linux

Note that the sda1 partition was empty from cylinders 2000 to 5223. Then, I decided to remove the empty space by shrinking sda1, using Yast's partitioning tool to edit its start cylinder:

Device Start End Id System
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    /dev/sda1 5224 35003 85 Linux extended
    /dev/sda5 5224 35003 83 Linux

After I did this, sda5 became unusable. When I try to mount sda5, the partitioning tool now says "it is not allowed to assign a mount point to a device with nonexistent or unknown filesystem".

Please, can someone try to explain what happened? What directions should I take to repair the partition?

Thanks in advance,

Matheus

oz
    forum.guy
    You could check out your partition table using TestDisk. It comes with the Parted Magic LiveCD, and there are good instructions for using it on their website:

Parted Magic
    oz

Just Joined!
    I used TestDisk but it didn't help much. When I ran its test, it didn't even list sda5, although fdisk does.

The problem is that I don't know that much about partitions and I am afraid of doing something that might completely destroy the unaccessible partition. So I was wondering if someone could explain what I did wrong, and how to fix it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Run Testdisk 3-4 times continuously. It will recover correct partition table.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First