Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I do a GLXINFO i get around 5000 fps on my AMD 4000 x2 , 1 gig ram and Nvidia 8500GT 256m card Is this about right or should ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Glxinfo

When I do a GLXINFO i get around 5000 fps on my AMD 4000 x2 , 1 gig ram and Nvidia 8500GT 256m card

Is this about right or should it be a bit higher?

Linux Engineer
    Are you sure you're running glxinfo and not glxgears? Probably glxgears, as that's the one that spins the gears and tells fps, glxinfo just tells about the driver. Either way, glxgears is NOT a good way to benchmark your graphics. It's pretty damn easy to spin some gears around.

Just Joined!
    Cheers for that just a newbie question, the main reason I was askign is that if i install an OS from scrach then just to see how it performs on my PC, or is it a case of suck it and see?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    One linux distro should perform comparable to another linux distro for the most part. If you want to know if hardware acceleration is turned on, check the output of glxinfo, look for a line about DRI.

Just Joined!
    Thanks will have a look just burning fedora core 7 just now to see how that performs