Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! First of all I'm not english and I think I don't speak this language very well . I have Toshiba L30-10W laptop and installed fedora 7 (on partition lvm) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Windows XP on computer with linux.

Hi!
    First of all I'm not english and I think I don't speak this language very well .
    I have Toshiba L30-10W laptop and installed fedora 7 (on partition lvm) on it. I need to install windows xp, and but after setup check my computer configuration i have dark screen and nothing, the installation has stopped. So i have searching a lot of forums and i got to know that i need ntfs partition as first partition and win xp setup has problems with linux patitions. I've edited hard disk and now i have:
    Code:
    fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 60.0 GB, 60011642880 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7296 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1               1        4117    33069771    7  HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda2            4118        4130      104422+  83  Linux
    /dev/sda3            4131        7296    25430895   8e  Linux LVM
    btw, sda2 is boot partition (grub).
    But it's still don't works .
    Does anybody know how i can install windows xp without deleting linux partitions?
    Edit: half year ago i successfully installed windows, now i sure that is causes by lvm partition.
    Please help!

Just Joined!
    I have always found dual boot (i.e. windows xp and linux on one hard drive side by side but in different partitions) to be a problem. Something that works much better is installing windows xp to a virtual machine under your linux and vmware is the software of choice for this. VMWare does come in an rpm since I have used it on my Fedora Core 4 system. The obvious advantages of vmware in place of dual boot are: (1) your windows xp install (i.e. virtual machine) is a savable set of files meaning that you install windows once and make a backup of that install and then restore from that each time you need to reinstall windows (which is frequently); (2) you let your linux do a file and memory management for your computer without any intereference form windows; (3) you can run windows side by side with linux and very easily exchange data back and forth between the two; (4) using the linux loopback interface you can access the windows xp virtual machine's "hard drive" which is just a file and be able to look at everything on it, which windows won't let you do.

Just Joined!
    I have many reasons to install windows- for example to games. I heard that virtual machine can't accelerate graphic in new games, but i need it.
    Another solution please.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Boot up from SuperGRUB CD and select 'Fix Windows Boot Loader' option. It will remove GRUB and Windows Installation CD will work after that.
    After Windows Installation, boot up from SuperGRUB CD again and select 'Fix Linux Boot Loader (GRUB)'. It will re-install GRUB and Linux will boot up on reboot.
    Post output of fdisk -l command and contents of /boot/grub/grub.conf file here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First