Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay, I wasn't sure if it was here or the installation forum, but I am pretty sure I can do the installation part. Anyway: I am wanting to dual boot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wanting to dual boot BUT...

Okay, I wasn't sure if it was here or the installation forum, but I am pretty sure I can do the installation part. Anyway:

I am wanting to dual boot with Debian, Windows, Ubuntu, and Gentoo (the latter two are the ones I wish to presently install to try out). So, I have both Debian and Windows. The thing I like about Windows is the games, and how one can install a program to another hard disk to make it work and save space for the OS partition. and the thing about Debian is it is pretty clean for my non-gaming tasks. A couple of questions:

-Would it be possible for the former three OSes to be able to work off the directories that programs install to from the external while the actual OS is still on the internal? e.g.:

On internal: *OS*+all things needed to get it to work
    On external: *Other programs not needed for basic operation (like games, physics simulators, etc.)*

I wish to do this as to save space as it is limited. I thought 6 GB was enough for Debian, but in foresight, it was not. Just, don't ask.

I would know I would need a filesystem like ext3 to keep it readable.

-Is it possible to dual boot off of such (with GRUB)? Is it recommended or should I stick with some other distro (or OS, even) that allows me to have one directory per program as similar to Windows? The latter one would be a godsend as I just used Debian to get the hang of things for Linux.

Disclaimer: I would not even know what keywords to search for.

Linux doesn't install programs like Windows. It doesn't create single folder. Files necessary to run a particular package are stored in different location. Check here.
    You can install Windows Packages in different location/disk but its not possible in Linux. Use External Disk to share data only.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

oz
    forum.guy
    You could easily allow all the Linux distros to share a common /home directory if that would help your situation any.

Just use a different user/login name for each distro and it will work fine.
    oz