Find the answer to your Linux question:
Not sure if this has already been discussed. Sorry if it's redundant. Just out of curiosity: This may come down to individual EULA's, but when you buy a windows xp ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Legality of Windows based games running in Linux

Not sure if this has already been discussed. Sorry if it's redundant.

Just out of curiosity:

This may come down to individual EULA's, but when you buy a windows xp game, does it violate the license for that game if you install and play on a Linux based OS?

Does fair use laws allow one to use the software on a different operating system other than what the game was intended?

You bought the game and in the license it says that you are allow to play it your self. Not rent it or sell it. You may play. And you are not allowed to reverse Engengenier it in anyway.
    Maybe the microsoft games have in there license that you are only allowed to play it on there naitive platform. But well that M$, so who cares?
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..

Quote Originally Posted by rhapsody5 View Post

Just out of curiosity:

This may come down to individual EULA's, but when you buy a windows xp game, does it violate the license for that game if you install and play on a Linux based OS?

Does fair use laws allow one to use the software on a different operating system other than what the game was intended?
    I don't think that you are going to have any problem. I have never seen in a license a agreement that you cannot use the software in other o/s. Since you have bought the game you can run it wherever you like, I think.
    Linux is like a Teepee, No Windows, No Gates, Only Apache Inside!
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by rhapsody5 View Post

Just out of curiosity:

I agree with the general consensus. I doubt very seriously that the EULA for your games specify that you must run them on Microsoft Windows. Look through the EULA and see. If not, you're in the clear to play them on whatever you like.

One problem you might run into is if you intend to play the game in Linux AND on Microsoft Windows, since several software products expressly prohibit you from running more than one licensed copy at a time.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants