Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a floppy that contains Partition Magic. I've never had a problem as I've always had a floppy drive, but now three our of my four computers don't have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Boot Floppy -->> CD-R

I have a floppy that contains Partition Magic. I've never had a problem as I've always had a floppy drive, but now three our of my four computers don't have one.

Q1: Can I simply copy the floppy to a CD-R and have it be bootable?

Q1.a: Is there any way I can get the floppy onto a bootable CD-R so that I can use this program without the floppy?

Thanks everyone!
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

I guess it's worth a shot to experiment with it -so long as you have a couple discs to waste.

I have no idea, but k3b offers several options for making a bootable disc, it can be set for HD emulation, 1.44 emulation, etc, etc.

Maybe someone who knows will come along so you don't waste any discs, but trying those settings might be worth a shot.

Linux Newbie
    I can only answer the PM boot cd part of the question by telling you how I made my PM boot cd using Nero. Run Nero and select new. Select a bootable CD and specify boot emulation as floppy . Then it will ask you for the bootable floppy - insert the PM bootable floppy. When the CD is burned you can boot of it but it will ask you to insert the second floppy to load PM and since you don't have a floppy drive you can't run PM..... I don't know hot to set it up to read the CD instead of the floppy (I don't even think this can be done easily...) Maybe you should write a CD with the PM disk 1 for booting, and write the PM disk 2 as regular data on that CD .... maybe it would work since it IS flopp emulation maybe it will search the CD as a floppy drive ....I don't know. Good luck !

Linux Guru

[Solved]Boot Floppy -->> CD-R

Here's what I did to get a bootable cd of Partition Commander from the floppy:

dd if=/dev/fd0 of=boot.img count=144

This gave me the floppy image. I then used Roxio to create a bootable CD. File -> New -> Bootable CD. It prompted me for the *.IMG file and I found the boot.img file.

It worked great, booted right into PtCm and I was able to partition away.

Is there a way to do this using K3B or some other Linux program?

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

I think that K3b will do that, i created a bootable cd from a floppy image, but i dont rember the exact process, i just burnt from an image and feed it the floppy one.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333