Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, For some time I'm struggling with my linuxserver and printer. I have this HP Officejet G85, attached to my system via USB. This system is a Clarkconnect 4.2 server ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Printing from server via usb

Hi,

For some time I'm struggling with my linuxserver and printer.
    I have this HP Officejet G85, attached to my system via USB.
    This system is a Clarkconnect 4.2 server (based on CentOS 4), running Cups 1.2.something

When running kudzu, it found the printer, so usb seems to work.
    I installed Gutenprint 5.1 (couldn't get HPLIP compiled) and run CUPS. In cups I add a printer, use the gutenprint driver (the original hpijs didn't work either) and print a testpage.

The job is processed, and cups says it's completed. No errors on screen or in the error_log of cups.
    However, no printout either!

Also, when trying to connect from a windows system to the printer (via samba that is), this seems OK. Again, a job is run and shows completed, but no print-out happens. When I attach this printer via usb directly to my windows laptop, it's working fine, so that's not the issue.

I can handle linux, but I'm not an ace on it.

Could someone point me in the right direction, what to try to solve this thing?

Kind regards

Just Joined!
    My suggestion is to try some of the other suggested drivers on openprinting. OpenPrinting database - Printer: HP OfficeJet G85

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by vertis View Post
    My suggestion is to try some of the other suggested drivers on openprinting. OpenPrinting database - Printer: HP OfficeJet G85
    I did, doesn't work

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    One thing I would point out is that I had an experience a while back with a printer where the firmware was different because of a different country, not the same type of printer as yours but we pulled our hair out for ages trying to reconcile it with the fact that we had seen one of the same type working. Of course that one had been sent from the UK where as the one we were frustrated about was part of the 'Australian Batch'.

I'm working with abstracts but see if you can find out if there are any differences between your printer and a known working one.

Just Joined!
    Also see if you can get it working on another (read: more mainstream) version of Linux. That should give you some ammo to work with.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by vertis View Post
    Also see if you can get it working on another (read: more mainstream) version of Linux. That should give you some ammo to work with.
    OK, I'll test it with my laptop. That has a well working version of suse 10.3 on it.