Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everybody, I own an "old" iPod Video, originally it was formatted in FAT32 and everything worked nice with amarok and others applications... recently, I got a new-gen iPod and, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

HFS+ read/write for all users

Hi everybody,

I own an "old" iPod Video, originally it was formatted in FAT32 and everything worked nice with amarok and others applications... recently, I got a new-gen iPod and, after a little pain , it works with my linux box (kubuntu feisty)... then, I decided to use the "old" iPod as a massive storage media only, with capacity for big files (e.g. ISO image files > 4.5GB) and, as you know, FAT32 does not support that size of files, so I decided to format the device in HFS+ with my macbook. The process was a bit problematic, but after a while I can use the iPod HFS+ : read/write big files with my linux without problems... but only as root... (ok, I can do the things I need, but I want to be able to do it as my everyday-user)

In my /etc/fstab I have the following entry:

/dev/sdd3 /media/TUX-III-POD auto rw,users,noauto

and it works almost perfect: when I connect the iPod I've asked for open it in new window, I can see the contents, and using the command line I can sudo a cp... thus, what am I missing to activate r/w mode for all users? (or at least the user who mount the device)...

I also tried following options, but with the same results:

/dev/sdd3 /media/TUX-III-POD auto rw,users,noauto,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=0000

and the same with umask=0022 ...

Thanks in advance,

Hugo

EOF

Just Joined!
    Hi,

Can you send the output from `mount' and the permissions of the mount point (/media/TUX-III-POD). Make sure to unmount the ipod before checking the permissions though...

Linux Newbie
    Hi,

The permissions of the mount point are 777 before mount the device... after mount (even manually) the permissions are 744 owned by root... after unmount the permissions are again 777...

There is not output from mount command, simply mount the device and quit... I'm in my job, my home computer is shut down, and nobody at home, so I can't do a 'mount -v' to see a detailed output... I'll do in a few hours.

Thanks,

Hugo

EOF

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close