Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there a distro out there right now that supports a 8800gts 640mb? (maybe even a patch / fix?) My current installation of ubuntu just gives an error when loading ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

8800gts

Is there a distro out there right now that supports a 8800gts 640mb? (maybe even a patch / fix?)

My current installation of ubuntu just gives an error when loading xserver

What version of Ubuntu are you using? nVidia use a unified architecture with their own drivers (though some patches were needed for the 8xxx series). Try installing in safe graphics mode and then installing the nvidia proprietary driver from the restricted drivers manager.

Just Joined!
    Installing the nvidia proprietary driver from the restricted drivers manager.
    I'm pretty much fresh when it comes to Linux, and I don't really know what the drivers manager is... ATM my 5.10 copy of ubuntu only allows me to get into the terminal

I tried to get help with this problem but I just diagnosed it myself as being my video card.

My opinion is to get a newer distro. 5.10 is a pretty old one and 8800gts is a really new hardware. Currently you can download ubuntu 7.10 which will have better hardware support.
    Linux is like a Teepee, No Windows, No Gates, Only Apache Inside!
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041