Find the answer to your Linux question:
I can not find a really good guide on this anywhere. I am starting to become pretty familiar with my Linux system. But, this is one thing that bothers me. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux File System

I can not find a really good guide on this anywhere. I am starting to become pretty familiar with my Linux system. But, this is one thing that bothers me. What are the different folders specifically used for.

So far as I can tell,

/etc seems to contain system config files
    /bin contains the executable path to programs
    /usr/bin contains more programs
    /usr/lib contains application config files
    /home has all your junk in it. Certain application settings and personal files
    /root roots home folder, I think mine is empty
    /boot contains stuff to boot up with.

Is there a really good guide to what these and other folders are used for? I would assume there has to be some form of a standard so people arnt just putting config files anywhere and so forth.

Thanks,

Danikar

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    The best thing to do is go through the FHS.

Linux Newbie
    Hi,

In most situations, you will not need to worry about other folders except your 'home folder': /home/your_user_name (refered as ~)... applications store its settings per user, in your home folder, using "hidden" folders (names that start with period, e.g. firefox stores its settings such as cookies, add-ons, bookmarks, etc in ~/.mozilla) ...

When you install applications globally, i.e. for all users, the files are stored in different folders, but don't worry (at least if you are using a package-bases system such as (k)ubuntu or fedora).

Sometimes, you will needd to modify globals configurations, most of them located in /etc .

Rest of the folders are barely touched by normal using

Greetings,

Hugo

EOF