Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok today my computer crashed on me and is refusing to boot windows and i really need to get some files off it. If i run knoppix live cd 5.1 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Will knoppix 5.1 live cd read the files already saved in windows

Ok today my computer crashed on me and is refusing to boot windows and i really need to get some files off it. If i run knoppix live cd 5.1 would i be able able to transfer pictures and music to an external hard drive or is there another version of linux that would be better suited to this situation and my hardware.

Laptop - Sony vaio VGN-FS315S
    Ex HD - Freecom Classsic SL 250GB

Thanks for any help, regarding this matter.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

I've not used Knoppix in quite a while, but it should work for transferring files. Just click on the button on the Knoppix desktop relating to the partition in question and use the file manager to do some transfers.

I can't think of any distro that should work better.
    oz

Just Joined!
    thanks thought there was a possiblity it would work. im considering making the permanent change to linux, what version would you recommend. my laptops used for internet, downloads, watching avi's connected to an external hdtv ermmm converting files putting files on cd or would you be against the change for my needs. i know its a next question but thanks for any advice.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just about any version of Linux would be suited just fine for your needs. I think the biggest thing you should worry about is, which one do you like the most. You should try at least 3 different versions of Linux to see which one suits you best.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

oz
    forum.guy
    The best thing to do would be to pick two or three different distros and simply try them. It doesn't take long before you get a feel for the distro that's right for your particular tastes, and for your hardware.

DistroWatch.com is a good place to check for info on the various distros available. Also look at the link in my signature for lots of good information on getting started with Linux. There's a poll in the Coffee Lounge regarding "favorite" distro for new Linux users that might also help.
    oz