Find the answer to your Linux question:
Does anyone know if it's possible to get a remote cmd on a windows machine(s) from linux? The only thing I can think of is installing ssh on the remote ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Open a CMD on a remote Windows box from Linux?

Does anyone know if it's possible to get a remote cmd on a windows machine(s) from linux?

The only thing I can think of is installing ssh on the remote windows box. In which case can anyone recommend the best ssh implementation on Windows? I've used the openssh port before but it seems a little imperfect and dated and does not integrate that seemlessly.

Ideally I'd like to find some native way of getting the remote cmd on windows, similar to what psexec allows you to do from another windows box. I'd rather install one thing on my linux workstation than something on every single windows box I administer.

Are there any native interoperability tools from Linux to Windows in this type of thing?
    The Human Equation:

value(geeks) > value(mundanes)

I'm not advocating its use but if you have remote desktop enabled for these Windows machines, you can use rdesktop from Unix to administer them.

This linle might be what you're looking for -

winexe homepage

Thrillhouse: Thanks for that, but I already use Rdesktop. I want remote terminal, not remote window. Although RDesktop is useful, there are problems when using it on tls secured terminal servers as this flat out does not work on the rdesktop program on linux. Also, if the remote machine is a workstation, this also will not work without disconnecting the current user.

bigtomrodney: Thank you so much, that looks like exactly what I was after. I'll try it out.
    The Human Equation:

value(geeks) > value(mundanes)

Also, if the remote machine is a workstation, this also will not work without disconnecting the current user.
    True, but this is a feature of Windows XP/Vista, not of rdesktop. XP doesn't allow concurrent users whereas Windows Server does.