Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm about to switch from Windows to Ubuntu. I have all my data on an ntfs, and I'm about to create an ext3 partition to move it to. Are there ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

writing to ext3 from windows

I'm about to switch from Windows to Ubuntu. I have all my data on an ntfs, and I'm about to create an ext3 partition to move it to. Are there any utilities to write to an ext3 from Windows? If not, should I just use a livecd? Will a livecd be able to read the NTFS to copy the contents to the ext3?

Thanks.

Well my friend welcome to the world of Linux. Were the hackers enjoy a better life in computering.. Were we all life in harmony and are not Fighting over Licences. But as I already said you become a hacker when you use linux. And this is the first Hackers Lesson. Google is a Hackers friend When you Google for "ext3 Windows" I did find: "http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/"
    and "http://strabes.wordpress.com/2006/11/21/readwrite-support-for-ext2ext3-filesystems-for-windows/"
    I hope I did help you by telling this. I also found a lot of Dutch crap since well I am a Dutch Hacker.

Have fun with Linux. and if you dont like Ubuntu. Please try another linux Distro.

Cheers,
    Robin

ps.
    Linux NTFS reading is great. So if Id were you id just go into linux. Mount the NTFS drive and copy the data to the right Folder
    Then you can also use a better Filesystem then ext3. Like RSFS or RS4 or even JFS.
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..

Quote Originally Posted by DrVladimirTzu View Post
    I'm about to switch from Windows to Ubuntu. I have all my data on an ntfs, and I'm about to create an ext3 partition to move it to. Are there any utilities to write to an ext3 from Windows? If not, should I just use a livecd? Will a livecd be able to read the NTFS to copy the contents to the ext3?

Thanks.
    You can mount NTFS partitions from Linux, ntfs-3g allows read/write access to NTFS partitions as well, so you could leave the data where it is and access it from Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by fedoraandriy View Post

I think all posts should be in English ... but it gave FoxLingo something to do

Hi and Welcome !

You can use fs-driver. Install it in Windows OS and it will assign Driver letter to ext3 partition. Works perfectly.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

how to design linux ext3 file system driver

Quote Originally Posted by DrVladimirTzu View Post

Thanks.
    hello all,

myself amit i'm working on thinclient project, i've to write the driver ext3 file system for my linux based system but i'm not getting the structure & architecture for this file system , so please provide me some guideline that how to design linux ext3 file system driver

with best regards
    Amit