Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hmm...now that I git my floppy drive working, hehe I was wondering if I am able to connect to the net via AOL. However, my modem is not being detected, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

AOL on RedHat?

Hmm...now that I git my floppy drive working, hehe I was wondering if I am able to connect to the net via AOL. However, my modem is not being detected, is this because it is a Winmodem? Anyway, if I do buy a compatible modem will I be able to use an AOL account, not the software, to connect?

Linux Guru
    It's most certainly because you have i winmodem. Since I live in Sweden I haven't had to touch a modem in a very long time, so I don't really know what the issue with them is, but there has recently been quite some flaming on that issue here. Check out www.linmodems.org, and you should find more info. Buying a normal modem would most likely work almost at once, but it seems like an unneccessary expense when there is an alternative.

Linux User
    Wow...Thank you very much.

Linux User
    My friends in AOL tech support say no, you must use their software - and I believed them because i never got it working without it (never really tried either, I dont have AOL)

However I heve been told by a friend he uses AOL as an ISP just dialing in with a DUN - I am looking for more detauls(basically proof), I will get back to you when i get it.
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux User
    Yeah I was wondering if I could just take my account name, password and a local access number to dial up without the craptastic software. Or I was thinking, will a Juno account work?