Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have place a few operating systems on an SD card vor my Asus EEE PC. I have managed to add grub entries in the internal partition to point to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

create a master boot record

I have place a few operating systems on an SD card vor my Asus EEE PC.

I have managed to add grub entries in the internal partition to point to the necessary partitions on the SD card and both FaunOS and SLAX boot.

I would like to install grub on the sd card, and I did
    grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
    and I got

hd0,0
    hd0,1
    hd1,2

so then I did
    grub> setup (hd1)

but I got an error that it was an invalid device, so I am assuming I need to create an MBR, and did some google searching, but I didn't find anything I felt comfortable with.

Step by step help please?

You dont have to create MBR manually because its available in every disk by default. Its first sector of disk actually. Boot up from SuperGRUB CD. It will detect all OSes and MBRs. You can install GRUB anywhere through it easily.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    I am kind of curious as to why I could not do it this way, but I am excited to try the iso.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    MBR contains Partition Table, Boot Loader and Hard Disk Signatures. If you know the your Hard disk's geometry, boot loader coding correctly then go ahead and write those in first sector of HD.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Actually, I had a brain fart, and forgot to do

grub> root (hd1,2)

before doing

grub> setup (hd1)

And I got a bunch of readout and no errors. I assume it works but ran out of energy to actually boot the computer from the SD card.

I did use the disk first, but all it did was make hd0 point to /boot/grub/ on hd1,2 but it was easy enough to fix, as I just ran the disk again and chose where I wanted it to point (I still want grub on hd0 pointing to /boot/grub/ at hd0,1.

I didn't check out advanced options though. Also, this disk could be a real life saver as it looks like it can boot any OS from a disk with a wiped out MBR. Awesome find and I made two copies... one for my laptop bag!