Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! I just discovered figlets tonight. They're very fun. However, I once saw someone log into their Linux box via SSH years ago and be shown a burning bash screen ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile How do you install BASH special effects?

Hi! I just discovered figlets tonight. They're very fun. However, I once saw someone log into their Linux box via SSH years ago and be shown a burning bash screen effect. It was quite unique. Since then I haven't seen anyone do that before. I would like to know how to do this myself? Are there any sites or recommendations. Any hints would be appreciated.Thank you.

I don't know this figlets or what is does. Do you have a link?

As to the burning Bash screen. I think what you were seeing was an x-windows theme. It is possible to send your x-windows over an ssh connection.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!

Thanks for the update. Try these web links please.

A figlet is a cool way to manipulate ASCII text. Here are the links.:

FIGlet

or

A more direct link to the original site here:

FIGlet - hosted by PLiG

You may have seen people reply to posts on the web in huge inflated text format that looks kinda cool and sometimes hugely annoying, LOL!. Anyways, thanks for the response Robert! I didn't know how to properly describe what I was seeing in the ssh window. I'm going to try your suggestion and see what types of themes are available for the X-Window sessions in SSH. Happy Holidays!

P.S. I just installed this and followed the directions. It's pretty simple if you read the README file. There are several other styles of formatting you can do to manipulate the text to your desire other than the default setting. I'm no expert but if you have some questions; I might be able to help.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    scm
    Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwantbetterinlife View Post
    A figlet is a cool way to manipulate ASCII text.
    vi is the coolest way to manipulate ASCII text files.

Just Joined!

Question Funny but not helpful.

Hello SCM,

Apologies. I am still trying to figure if the burning bash effect I saw was an X-windows session piped over an ssh connection. So far my research and experiments have failed to produce the desired results. I will contine though. If you did read the previous posts(which I truly hope); have you encountered this cool effect? If so, what configs or progs did you have to make or install? Thank you.

Just Joined!

Smile I'm still researching but no luck so far.

Perhaps I'll try to describe it better. When the user logged into his remote Linux station; the initial login session showed undulating flames in the shell. These flames weren't GUI but consisted of 1's and 0's. When they made a keystoke; the flames abated allowing them login. I will continue to research. So far I've checked articles that discuss sshd_config entries that need to be turned on involving X11( ex. ForwardX11Trusted yes). I followed their instructions but with no luck so far. The hunt continues.