Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm running Debian Etch and would like a higher resolution when I switch to a console with Ctrl+Alt+F{1-6}. I've searched google like crazy but haven't been able to get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Higher resolution virtual consoles..

Hi, I'm running Debian Etch and would like a higher resolution when I switch to a console with Ctrl+Alt+F{1-6}. I've searched google like crazy but haven't been able to get it to work and I'd really appreciate it if someone could push me in the right direction. Right now when I switch to a console it's in 640x480 resolution. I recompiled my kernel with support for a framebuffer and I'm fairly sure it's working. When I boot up, I see the lil penguin logo in the top left corner. Now this is a little strange to me: when my system is booting up there is a point where it prints out "Setting up console modes and fonts" and then the screen flashes and the penguin disappears. I'm not sure if that matters or anything; I just thought I'd throw it in there. Anyway, I've tried putting vga=# in my /boot/grub/menu.lst file and all it does is change the font during boot for a few seconds, then it switches to the penguin logo in 640x480 res, which is promptly erased after the "Setting up console modes and fonts" line. I'm not really sure what to do now, please help me as all I want is for my console to be like my slackware box with a nice 1024x768 resolution so I can actually work in the console sanely.
    Here's some information that may or may not be helpful:

Linux kernel 2.6.23.12
    lspci output for my graphics card:
    Code:
    00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82810 CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller] (rev 03)
    Lemme know if you need any more information. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Which VGA value did you use? Have you tried vga=773?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Yep I tried it. Said something about unsupported mode then gave me a list to choose from. If I choose any from the list, it changes the font momentarily but then it switches back to normal size font with a penguin logo in a few sec.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close