Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been searching around but all i could find were old posts with outdated information. So basically, i'm thinking about switching from ubuntu to another distro and AFAIK most of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

difference between debian and slack?

I've been searching around but all i could find were old posts with outdated information.

So basically, i'm thinking about switching from ubuntu to another distro and AFAIK most of them are Slackware or Debian based. So i was wondering what's the difference between them? I heard that slack is very fast and rock solid in terms of stability but doesn't support apt (which i'm quite used to).

So i was thinking if someone could explain me things a little and tell me the major differenced between the two.

oz
    forum.guy
    Both distributions are very solid when it comes to stability.

Slackware feels faster than Debian, to me.

Debian offers a netinstall (very nice), whereas Slackware doesn't.

Slackware does not support apt-get and has no dependency checking for installing applications, by default. You can use 3rd party apps like Swaret or Slapt-get to install applications, and they do provide some dependency help.

If you really like apt-get, you'd probably be best off to stick with Debian.

On the other hand, it's really best to try both, and then make up your own mind.
    oz