Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, i had to help out a friend by backing up some imp files frm a windows system which was refusing to boot.it was a compaq v3000 series laptop [dunno ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation live CDs not working :(

Ok, i had to help out a friend by backing up some imp files frm a windows system which was refusing to boot.it was a compaq v3000 series laptop [dunno th exact model]. whats wierd is it refused to boot from all the live cds i tried. [i tried knoppix, DSL, puppy, gentoo; all latest versions]. I checked the CMOS settings, everything is correctly set up, the disc is accessed during boot-up as well. My friend confirms that the optical disc drive was working perfectly when he was working in windows...But then it plainly refuses to boot frm there, and passes on to windows I've tried the discs on my own systems and they work perfect. Any hints on what i'm doing wrong with the laptop?

Does machine boot up from Windows Installation CD?
    Double check BIOS. CD Drive must be First Boot Device.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Err...I dunno abt the windows disc, i dont have any, he doesn't either...the bios, yup i can confirm that, i like triple checked it

You should try booting up from Windows Installation CD too. It looks like HardWare problem only.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First