Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have GRUB installed on my computer that I used when I had Linux XP on a separate partition to Windows. I decided to give up on it and formatted ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Exclamation GRUB won't let me load windows

I have GRUB installed on my computer that I used when I had Linux XP on a separate partition to Windows. I decided to give up on it and formatted the partition with Linux on it. When I restarted my computer all that comes up is the work GRUB in the corner and I can't get past it. Now I can't load Windows on my computer at all. Is there a way to get past GRUB without formatting the Windows half as well? A quick response would be much appreciated, thanks.

If you got a Windows Xp installation cd boot up, enter recovery console and type
    Code:
    fixmbr
    This will remove grub and let you boot windows. Alternatively you can download supergrub cd
    Linux is like a Teepee, No Windows, No Gates, Only Apache Inside!
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041

Just Joined!
    hi matthew i am a newbie to linux but i hope this link helps u

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...d-edition.html

take care
    have a great new year.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    In case Windows Installation CD doesn't work, boot up from SuperGRUB CD and select 'Fix Windows Boot Loader' option. It will remove GRUB and Windows OS will boot up on reboot.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Talking

It's okay now I got it fixed. What must have happened was when I formatted the partition there must have been bits of GRUB residue left on it. I used the Vista install disk on that partition and it works fine now. Thanks for your help!

Well Done !
    GRUB's default location is MBR, first sector of HardDisk and it isn't stored in any partitions unless you direct it explicitly (boot sector of any partition). You removed it using Vista installation DVD.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First