Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
yep you guessed it im a noob. last night windows ticked me off for the last time so now im running mandrake 9.1. i have a bunch of questions but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

USB hard drive?

yep you guessed it im a noob. last night windows ticked me off for the last time so now im running mandrake 9.1. i have a bunch of questions but im going to try to figure them out for myself first, except one. i have a USB hard drive that has all my music and movies on it. i cant figure out how to access the drive. when i go to start->configuration->kde->information->USB
    it has a USB drive listed but i cant figure out how to access it. anyone have any suggestions?

thanks a lot,

Justin
    hit me up over messenger if you can.
    AIM: boomhower1820
    yahoo messenger: ou_phidelt

Linux Guru
    I'm sorry to tell you that, although USB Mass Storage devices are supported, there's no user-friendly way (especially no graphical interface) to use them.
    To use it, first run these commands:
    Code:
    modprobe sg
    modprobe sd_mod
    mkdir /mnt/usb
    Then run "fdisk -l /dev/sda" to see if the drive has a partition table. If it does, run "mount /dev/sda0 /mnt/usb", and if it doesn't, run "mount /dev/sda /mnt/usb". After that, the files will be accessible under /mnt/usb.

One more thing: If you're using NTFS on this drive, you won't be able to write to it under Linux.

Just Joined!
    thanks for the reply. it came back with two of them on the table. so i picked the sda that was fat 32 and it worked.(the other was Ext'd (LBA)) but i have two more questions that arouse. i am accessing it through the directory,if theirs another way id be more than happy to hear, all the folders are visible but the individual files are not. im thinking that it could be because the were two sda's. BTW they are almost all MP3's and movies.

again thanks alot for your help,

Justin

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    hhmm. well if i go into Xmms and go to play file and get into the /mnt/usb it sees all the mp3's. is their another way i can see the contents other than through the directory so i can see the rest of them?

thanks,

Justin

now im off to figure out how to set the file extention settings

Linux Guru
    How could the files be visible in XMMS but not the file browser? What file browser are you using? Open up a terminal, cd /mnt/usb and ls different directories to see if there are any strange file names or so.
    The Ext'd (LBA) partition is just the extended partition that contains your logical FAT32 partition. Don't care about it; it's not important.
    How do you mean that there would be another way of accessing the files than through a directory? I don't really understand what you're looking for.

Just Joined!
    to say im rusty on my command line would be a vast understatement. the way i was viewing the contents was through konquerer. under the /mnt/usb it only listed the folders but not the indivdual files. if i ls the directory like you suggested they are all their, sorry its been about a year and a half since ive done much command line, didnt even think about it. so they are their but i can not see them in konquerer but i can in xmms. how can i view all the contents other than in a terminal?

thanks alot guys,

Justin

btw ive been pretty successfull in getting everything else installed that ive wanted. all i got left on my mind right now is java and p2p.

Linux Guru
    You must simply have configured something wrong with konqueror, since that seems to be the only program unable to show the files. Could you post a screenshot?

About P2P, see DC-GUI. What exactly is it that you want to accomplish with Java? If you want a Java compiler, see the Java 2 SDK from sun (http://java.sun.com/). If you want the Java plugin for mozilla, see the Linux J2RE from http://www.blackdown.com/.

Just Joined!
    ill be more than happy to just tell me how to get a screen shot. ya for java all i was wanting was the pluggin. i found a hella easy step by step on one of the members web sites.

thanks guys,

Justin

Just Joined!
    one other thing. any idea why xmms keeps locking up on me? when it does how can i close it? sorry for all the questions im still getting acclemated(sp).

Linux Guru
    In order to fix XMMS, you must first find out what is wrong with it. Wait until it hangs, then run this command:
    Code:
    ps -mHlp `/sbin/pidof xmms`
    Then post the results here. Make extra sure to get the right values from the WCHAN field. Please post the result within code tags, for ease of reading.

And really, don't excuse yourself for asking questions; without questions, there wouldn't be a forum. ;-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast