Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello everyone I have an old pc that I would like to install linux on. It is currently running Windows 98 with the following specifications: -Pentium 1 with 133 Mhz ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux for Old, Useless and Ancient PC?

Hello everyone

I have an old pc that I would like to install linux on. It is currently running Windows 98 with the following specifications:

-Pentium 1 with 133 Mhz
    -32 MB ram
    -approx 2.3 GB HD
    -Creative Sound Blaster Plug and Play
    -S3 virge PCI (325)
    -CD drive
    -Floppy Drive

I recently tryed to install the following linux versions but faced errors.
    -Opensuse 10.2 - Kernel Panic, no killable processes
    -DeLi Linux - ATAPI disk failure or something like that
    -Damn Small Linux (DSL) - same as DeLi linux

I have no idea about what to do so could anyone tell me if I'm doing anything wrong or reccomend me a better version of Linux???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums, LinuxRevolution!

I'm afraid this machine might be too minimal for just about any version of Linux. However, we do have a poll where users voted on their favorite distro for older/weaker hardware:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...re-2008-a.html

Be sure to check the poll for last year, as well.

You can find lots of information about getting started with Linux by checking the link in my signature.

Best of luck with it and have fun with Linux...
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your help Ozar, but what part of the PC is too weak and what do you reccomend me upgrading.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    There are some really tiny distros available so something will probably work on it, but none of the major distros are likely to get along with it. The low RAM count seems most problematic to me, so that's where I'd start with an upgrade.

You should probably try Damn Small Linux (DSL) on it and see how that goes.
    oz

Linux Guru
    I think an important question is "what are you trying to do" with this machine?

One of my firewall machines is a P-166 with 64MB RAM running Debian 3. It runs iptables, snort, and a small MySQL DB without a problem.

If you're looking for a full GUI, the 32MB RAM will hurt the most. You might try Xfce with 64MB - I am not sure what "minumum" Xfce suggests. Ideally, it could be used for a network server of some type, but I don't think you'll get much performance using it with a GUI.

HTH.

I would suggest you to try Damn Small Linux or Puppy Linux. Upgrade RAM to 64MB, if possible.
    Debian is a good option too. Try Window Managers like fvwm, fluxbox instead of Desktop Environments like KDE/GNOME etc..
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    To answer everyone's questions, I would basically like to use it for documents, an alternate computer. I dont need any fancy programs, just a reliable computer. I am never going to connect it to the internet. I will try to upgrade to 64MB ram but it does not seem likely to happen. I need any info in simple terms as I am new to Linux. Also, can anyone tell me why my comp would always show an error message when it tries to boot from the DSL CD (damn small linux)?? The error message is like ATAPI disk failure or something like that.

Could you post exact error message here?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    The error message was "booting from ATAPI disk....failure"
    But don't worry, I managed to get DSL running with the ISO specifically designed for old PCs. You guys were right, though, it is very laggy and takes ages to load. At least it works.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP.

oz
    forum.guy
    Glad you got something to run on it, LinuxRevolution.

Don't hesitate to post new threads with any other questions.
    oz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast