Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I am trying to view this page in firefox, but it tells me that I need to install the Java 2 Runtime environment, and Java3D. I used their ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need help installing some java stuff...

Hello all,
    I am trying to view this page in firefox, but it tells me that I need to install the Java 2 Runtime environment, and Java3D. I used their links to download the .bin files for both, but when I try to run them it says they are corrupted. So I just went to the java download page and downloaded the latest JRE for linux and installed that. It installed and everything, but the webpage still says I need the java 2 runtime environment and Java3D. Can anyone help me out with this?
    Thanks,
    Svenjamin

Quote Originally Posted by Svenjamin View Post
    Hello all,
    I am trying to view this page in firefox, but it tells me that I need to install the Java 2 Runtime environment, and Java3D. I used their links to download the .bin files for both, but when I try to run them it says they are corrupted. So I just went to the java download page and downloaded the latest JRE for linux and installed that. It installed and everything, but the webpage still says I need the java 2 runtime environment and Java3D. Can anyone help me out with this?
    Thanks,
    Svenjamin
    Did you install the latest version of Java using the package manager for your distro ... eg for SUSE the package manager is YAST. You may need to add online repositories to get the latest version ... it depends what distro you have.

Just Joined!
    Oh yeah, sorry I forgot to mention that. I'm using Fedora 8. Yes, I did use the package manager. Which if I understand correctly is just a front-end GUI for YUM right?

Quote Originally Posted by Svenjamin View Post
    Oh yeah, sorry I forgot to mention that. I'm using Fedora 8. Yes, I did use the package manager. Which if I understand correctly is just a front-end GUI for YUM right?
    Looks from here http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...are-linux.html as though yum is the package ... and theres a GUI ...
    Actually there is a link on the page that might help you ... specifically mentions installing Java.

Sorry ... I'm probably not going to be able to help you much further with this since I don't use Fedora ... good luck.

Just Joined!
    Ok, thanks for the link. I'll try what it says to do there. Thanks for your help this far.
    Svenjamin