Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want a GUI Linux distro for my laptop. What are say, the best three distros to consider that will fit on an IBM thinkpad that has 24megs of ram ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Best distro for laptop (OLD) constraints?

I want a GUI Linux distro for my laptop. What are say, the best three distros to consider that will fit on an IBM thinkpad that has 24megs of ram and an 800meg hard drive. Its like a 486 or something like that.
    Ack!

GUI on that? It will be slow...and you won't have any room on the hard drive to speak of, but the best distro for you would prolly be slack. It's small and non-resource intensive.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Newbie

darn

Darn, I thought this thing would be good enough. Hmmm, maybe sell on ebay and they jump up a few years. I want to comftorably be able to do GUI, Opera browsing and Email, and like StarOffice.
    Ack!

you can itll just be slooow, giveit an install and try, besides, if it really is, then you can just sell it on e-bay for 25 extra (LINUX PRE-INSTALLED!)
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Newbie

slack

Hmmm, I guess. I think I will order a pre made disk of slack. I still have to figure out how to deal without a CD-rom on it, but otherwise...
    Ack!

t agb mfiddddddddddnetwork boot, you et the bios t look at thenetwork firs, then you wll have 'server' broadcs eh ot nfo, and your ew'client'can hen bot and install. if you have a usb port, then you could boot from an external drive.... or if you wanna go a little cool, buy a external hd casing, and attach the ide cable to a cd drive (basiacaly, you now have an ide drive attached to a usb port, and if your feeling MONDO crazy, you could drop another 2 buck on a ps/2 usb adaptor and then boot through a ps/2 port (ive actualy done it, its was slow as a mo fo, but it worked)
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333