Find the answer to your Linux question:
whats the best distro for my Toshiba Equium laptop that is good for gaming and office...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question whats the best distro for...

whats the best distro for my Toshiba Equium laptop that is good for gaming and office

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremyreid View Post
    whats the best distro for my Toshiba Equium laptop that is good for gaming and office
    "Best" is in the eye of the beholder. We can't tell you which distribution you'll like best, because we're not you. It's like asking us what flavor of ice cream will be your favorite. And yes, most of the differences between distributions are just personal preference.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ead-first.html

What kind of gaming are we talking about here? You can't play MS Windows games in Linux (see "Linux is not Windows" in the thread above). There are some workarounds (WINE, Cedega, Crossover), but they're not perfect and you'll almost always get better performance playing the games in XP anyway.

If you're a big MS Windows gamer, you'll want to consider booting both XP and Linux on your computer. This is a dual-boot configuration. That allows you to boot to whichever you like when you turn your computer on. The default behavior for most Linux distributions when you install them is to set up a dual-boot environment for you.

As for office applications, OpenOffice is functionally equivalent to Microsoft Office for Word, PowerPoint and Excel. I'm not sure about Access. You can create and edit your existing Microsoft Office documents using that. OpenOffice comes with most Linux distributions out of the box, but even if it doesn't the program is available for any Linux you choose.

We need more information about your computer to give any more help than that. What specific model of Toshiba Equium is it? Do you know what kind of CPU, graphics card, or wireless card it uses? How much RAM does it have?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Which distro to choose...?

I currently have debian! But theres not alot of packages on the web that I need thats a .deb installer (which is easier) and the ones on the package manager are out of date! I've been looking at fedora and there is certainly more rpm installers out there and I was wondering if fedora would be better for me!

My needs are: a distro that has neat looks, a distro that uses rpm, a regularly maintained distro. Now what I was thinking was should I stick with debian or should I switch to fedora? Or is there a distro that will tend better to my needs?

I got to go now but please post what you think would be good for me below! I'll be back soon!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I currently have debian! But theres not alot of packages on the web that I need thats a .deb installer (which is easier) and the ones on the package manager are out of date!
    You can upgrade packages or Debian OS easily using apt-get, aptitude or Synaptic. Which version of Debian are you using right now?
    Execute this
    Code:
    cat /etc/debian_version
    Post output here.
    My needs are: a distro that has neat looks, a distro that uses rpm, a regularly maintained distro. Now what I was thinking was should I stick with debian or should I switch to fedora? Or is there a distro that will tend better to my needs?
    Thats depend on you. Debian sid/unstable has latest packages only but you can try Fedora too.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe View Post
    "Best" is in the eye of the beholder...
    By now, I'm honestly wondering if people like you just cut and paste from earlier discussions as such...