Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I faced a strange problem. I have acer 5613 with vista home premium pre-installed then I install kubuntu, now the system is dual boot when installing kubuntu i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Does linux(kubuntu) cause this problem?

Hello all,

I faced a strange problem. I have acer 5613 with vista home premium pre-installed then I install kubuntu, now the system is dual boot when installing kubuntu i chose to install the grub loader in hda0 -as it was recommended-. the laptop mode was activated by default -I think so-. After 2 months of using the laptop when I was logged in kubuntu the system is frezed suddenly then I hold the power button to shut down the laptop, but after I re-run the laptop i get the problem "no operating system is found" I thought it's the HD then I pluged it into my desktop it's ok and i backed my files up, then i went to acer agency and they said it's the mother(main) board. All this long story is for the following questions:

QUESTION1: Can kubuntu cause this problem? if this is true do all debian based distos may cause the same problem?

QUESTION2: What does cause the problem in your opinion, what about laptop mode?

QUESTION3: I used kubuntu because it has a good support for the wireless, so I am planning to use freespire or openSuse, but what do you think is better for wireless use?

Finally, I know my way to describe the problem is poor in some way but I am not a native English so I choose the long way to desrcibe.

SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH BUT I HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND ME.

Quote Originally Posted by amaj1407 View Post
    Hello all,

I faced a strange problem. I have acer 5613 with vista home premium pre-installed then I install kubuntu, now the system is dual boot when installing kubuntu i chose to install the grub loader in hda0 -as it was recommended-. the laptop mode was activated by default -I think so-. After 2 months of using the laptop when I was logged in kubuntu the system is frezed suddenly then I hold the power button to shut down the laptop, but after I re-run the laptop i get the problem "no operating system is found" I thought it's the HD then I pluged it into my desktop it's ok and i backed my files up, then i went to acer agency and they said it's the mother(main) board.
    If the company you bought the laptop from said it was a motherboard problem and (I assume) replaced it, what's the problem? Are you worried that Kubuntu will hose your new motherboard?

QUESTION1: Can kubuntu cause this problem? if this is true do all debian based distos may cause the same problem?
    I've never heard of any operating system (even Microsoft Windows) that could fry a motherboard. The OS itself just doesn't get that far into the hardware. Operating systems can screw up harddrives absolutely, but motherboards? Not likely.

QUESTION2: What does cause the problem in your opinion, what about laptop mode?
    Laptop mode again has been linked to some issues with harddrives, but not with motherboards as far as I know.

QUESTION3: I used kubuntu because it has a good support for the wireless, so I am planning to use freespire or openSuse, but what do you think is better for wireless use?
    No single distribution has better wireless support than the other. They all use the same software to connect to your wireless chipset. What wireless card do you have? A lot of laptops use the Intel IPW3945 chipset or something similar. Intel has open-source Linux drivers available for these. Several distributions (Ubuntu included) put these on the CD so they should work out of the box.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    thank you techieMoe for illustration, I'll try openSUSE when I get my laptop back.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close