Find the answer to your Linux question:
I guess handhelds.org was the victim of a email virus. the users were getting email viruses from the staff at handhelds.org. I always thought that the users from that site ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

handhelds.org gets hit with email virus. RUN for your LIFE!

I guess handhelds.org was the victim of a email virus. the users were getting email viruses from the staff at handhelds.org.

I always thought that the users from that site where linux users, since linux is impervious to viruses, this would be no problem. Instead its a headline at handhelds.org

Linux Newbie
    The story was short. 148 words including the text of the email in question. And yet, you still got it wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by You
    the users were getting email viruses from the staff at handhelds.org.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Story
    It appears this morning that some evil doer sent an e-mail to handhelds.org users pretending to be from the staff and handhelds.org (see below). This e-mail is not from the administrators of handhelds.org.
    FUD is good. Spread the FUD.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

Linux Newbie
    you are right it was not from the staff@handhelds.org but my message is the same? isnt linux not affected by viruses?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Linux is not as suseptible to virus/worm/trojan attack as Windows. Primarily because it is damn near impossible to write a virus/worm/trojan that will be able to do any damage. Especially the variety that are distributed through the mail.
    See, first, the code would have to execute. Since Linux has no activex controls, the sysadmin would have to do this step. Then, it would have to gain root privelege. Again, a step that requires the sysadmin to take action on behalf of the code.
    Also, Linux isn't suseptible to win32 virusses/worms/trojans of any kind for any reason.
    So, no. The offending email would have had no effect on any Linux system.
    The problem with your theory is that you assume that members of handhelds.org run exclusively Linux. The fact is that your assumption is just wrong. More folks run dual boot than those that don't.
    And it is just good form to warn your members that there is a threat. Even if it is unlikely that your members will be adversely affected.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?